Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Do you consider jewelry that you made are unique?
When looking for jewelry, do you get attracted to pieces that has its own "personality" or unique?
When you decide to buy a piece, would you think - This is a special piece and nobody would have the same one as this one.
Dictionary.com define unique as:
- existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics: a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.
- having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable: Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint.
- limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area: a species unique to Australia.
- limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities: Certain types of problems have unique solutions.
- not typical; unusual: She has a very unique smile.
- the embodiment of unique characteristics; the only specimen of a given kind: The unique is also the improbable.
In creating and making my wire wrap jewelries, I try as far as possible to make pieces that are unique because I want the wearer to feel and know that they own a unique piece and there is no other pieces that are the same. At least, most of the time I tried, but I do make exemption if there are requests for similar design. An example of this is my twice around the world design. I made quite a few similar ones but with different stones. The persons who requested for it knows that some other people also owns similar one but they wouldn't mind. And of course they are similar but not identical. That will be the catch phrase.
Not everyone can be a great handmade jewelry producer. To become one you need a lot of skills, creativity and inborn talent. You will need to spend a lot of time perfecting your skill.
On the other hand, even if you think you do not have the skill, creativity or inborn talent, you will never know until you try out. For me anything handmade and handcrafted is unique. Remember, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
So, let us remind ourself to create more unique jewelries.
Go! Go! Mei. Yeh!