Wired Chinese Knot

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The following experimental pieces of wire wrap works are my latest experiment. This is called Wired Chinese Knot by its creator (in wired form), Corra. I must say it is not as easy as it seems but when I finally got it, after two tries (got it wrong the first two times), it is not that difficult either. In the process, I think I found another way to wrap the wire but with a slightly different way (the first two wrong pieces), more difficult way :).

First try was not very successful. Actually I did it wrong but this wrong is quite beautiful. It is a bit different from the wired Chinese Knot. This was done with the "Bonzai wire" as the wire is quite soft.

Second try with 22g stainless steel wire. Did it wrong again similar to the first one. This time as I was using stainless steel wire, which is stiffer, the wrapping is not that smooth.
Finally, third try with copper wire - 20g, I finally got it right. Two in one some more! :D
"Kiasu" some more, I managed to make "four in one". Yipee!

Back to Corra, I got to know her online recently. She is one of the few wire wrap jewelers in Malaysia that I know of so far. So now, I have 4 wire wrap jeweler friends from the whole of Malaysia........duh! So many ya?
As I mentioned just now, she introduced me to this Wired Chinese Knot. Well, I must say I was attracted to this knot the first time I saw it. If you are also smitten by this weave and are wire wrap addicted like me, Corra has a tutorial for this weave available at her etsy shop as well as her blog - de Cor's Handmades. This sounds like advertising ya but no....its more like sharing a new found wire wrap technique with you fellow wire addicts......:D I know people like us always looking for new designs or trying to come up with new designs or wire wrap pieces. So, this is something different and very interesting.

de Cor's Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 12:43:00 AM GMT+8

whoa you're quick! thanks for mentioning my name here and the credit given! I am glad that i've found you, not so lonely doing wire work already! And now I supposed I will not get bullied by some people! :D

Mei Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 8:15:00 AM GMT+8

Thanks to you Corra. Hope to see more new creations from you.

The Beading Gem Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 8:07:00 PM GMT+8

These are amazing attempts. I had seen Corra's etsy store and wondered what the wired chinese knots would be like! I would love to feature both of you on my blog.

Mei Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 9:39:00 PM GMT+8

Thank you Pearl.
And wow! I have never been featured in any blog before and feel very excited at the moment. I am sure Corra would feel the same as well. :)

yatisalem ,  Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 10:11:00 PM GMT+8

good mei..i try that corra tut once but fail..very shy to show it!!maybe i need some other time to try it again..good luck mei!!

The Beading Gem Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 12:10:00 AM GMT+8

Thanks for your ok. I've also asked Corra. The post will not be out for a fortnight or so.

devil_cat_042000 Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 1:22:00 PM GMT+8

Wow wish I could do that. Love your work! Hopefully I will be able to eventually do that.

Mei Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 1:31:00 PM GMT+8

Give it a try and you might be surprised!

Shuku Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 11:18:00 PM GMT+8

Looks great still, Mei! I haven't had the guts to try something like that, but I might someday. And yes, Corra's work is beautiful. When I grow up some day...

--Shuku

Mei Friday, February 22, 2008 at 8:05:00 AM GMT+8

Shuku, its never too young to start on something. Don't wait too long! I wish I have started this wire jewelry thingy long long time ago...:D